Search Our Blog or the Web

Sunday, December 20, 2009

My visit to engage local schools in debate

Butler Novice Policy Debate TeamImage by Blacksonville Community Network via Flickr

Visited Butler Middle School - 05/2009
www.twitter.com/ebmsmc

I was very impressed upon first arrival at Butler Middle School. I remember the Butler of old, when I was in the 7th grade, at a run down gym about the size of three standard living rooms where we played basketball.

The new school was a old high school. It provides a much stronger learning environment with monumental structures to give that "higher learning" effect.

When I came in I was immediately introduced to the Vice Principal who introduced me to my tour guide, a Media Teacher called Mrs. Beryl White-Bing. Mrs. Beryl White-Bing, now a the head debate coach at Butler Middle, was very innovative and proved to be an advance educator who knew just about everyone in the school. She introduced me to at least 5 teachers who made a verbal commitment to work as Coaches or Volunteers at the school. The Volunteer Liaision is Ms. Lillie Vereen who coordinates activites within the school and outside with community and parent partners. The parent liaision was Mr. Funcheus.

Mrs. White-Bing introduced me to Mr. Melvin Crosby.
Email: jbalumni@yahoo.com
Web: www.myspace.com/ejbalumni

The school alumnist recruiter (of the seniors above forty five who attended Butler in the past).

Mr. Crosby also operates Men of Tomorrow, a organization dedicated to leadership and parental involvement in the lives of young people. They need one for the immediate parents who have children their now, which is where DUDL fits in perfectly with its Parent/Alumni program.

Stay tune for more about the Duval Urban Debate League (DUDL).


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment